Head of Mathematics
Start Date: January 2018 or Easter 2018
Closing Date: 5pm Friday 19th October 2018
About Myddelton Education Ltd
We are a highly ambitious education investment company whose current portfolio includes Myddelton College in Denbigh and Adcote School for Girls near Shrewsbury. Our plans over the next five years are for rapid expansion, and we are seeking somebody looking for a long term position to join us.
Main Purpose of the Role
To teach Maths to A-level, and to coordinate the effective running of the Maths Faculty. As a member of the Middle Leadership Team you will contribute to the smooth operation of the College and, together with the Director of Studies and Director of Learning, you will drive forward the Teaching and Learning policy across all departments and faculties.
To coordinate the teaching of Maths across the curriculum and to provide support and guidance to all students through working closely with the pastoral team.
As Myddelton College is a full boarding school, there is also the expectation that clubs and enrichment activities will also be offered by all staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Head of Faculty
- To monitor levels of progress across the Maths Faculty and to design interventions as appropriate.
- To design a suitably challenging and stimulating Maths curriculum.
- To manage the performance of staff within the Maths Faculty.
- To advise the Director of Learning and Director of Studeis on the appointment of staff within the Maths Faculty.
- To lead and coordinate the teaching of numeracy across the curriculum.
- To play a full and active role as a member of the Middle Leadership Team of the College.
- Teaching and Assessment
- To plan lessons for courses, having due regard to the curriculum.
- To teach pupils, according to their educational needs, including the setting and marking of work.
- To assess, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of pupils.
- To provide or contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual pupils and groups of pupils.
- To participate in arrangements for preparing pupils for external examinations.
- Educational Methods
- To share, advise and co-operate with others on the preparation, development and review of teaching programmes and materials, methods of teaching and assessment and pastoral arrangements.
- To make appropriate use of textbooks, ICT and other learning resources.
- To review methods of teaching and learning activities from time to time.
- To keep up-to-date with research and developments in subject(s) taught.
- Working with others
- To participate in relevant meetings – departmental, staff, pastoral, INSET.
- To contribute to the programme for the induction and assessment of newly qualified and trainee teachers.
- To supervise any person providing support within the classroom.
- Communication with Parents
- To communicate and consult with parents via year group consultation evenings.
- To liaise with the Head of Academic and the Headteacher when further communication is deemed necessary
- Staff Development
- To participate in the school’s Professional Review arrangements.
- To take responsibility for own professional development and to set objectives for improvements.
- To participate in arrangements for further training and professional development as a teacher.
- General Notes
- The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Statement of the Directors’ Conditions of Employment.
- This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent in carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It will be reviewed regularly and it may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute as appropriate to the extra- curricular and pastoral life of this busy boarding and day school.
- An ability to work in high intensity, demanding environment.
- A sense of humour to get you through.
- To be sympathetic to worried pupils and parents.
- To present a welcoming and friendly aspect towards all visitors to the school.
- To be aware of all events taking place in the school.
- To be flexible in all matters.
Myddelton College is committed to safeguarding children; successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Closing Date: 5pm Friday 19th October
To have an informal chat about the post or Myddelton College in general, please contact the Headteacher email@example.com